We can’t wait to release the new WebEOC to our clients on November 16. There are many great improvements, and one of them is the way incidents are handled. As you know, incidents in WebEOC are created everyday across the world by agencies ranging from emergency managers at all levels of government to those in the private sector such as airlines and the nuclear industry.
Once the Incident is Over, What Do You Do?
In the past, you had three options:
- Archiving the incident in WebEOC,
- Removing the assigned groups so users don’t see the incident in their incident list,
- Or, the least optimal of all, never removing groups and having users weed through a long list of incidents to find the right one during an exercise or real event (but you would never do that!)
Why Are Archives Going Away?
As a product management team, we noticed clients were not using the archives feature so we started asking why. We received three key points of feedback as to why people were not using the archives feature:
- Once you archive an incident, it cannot be unarchived.
- Archived incident data is not easily accessible.
- Archiving incidents takes up a lot of room on the database since each time you archive an incident, all boards are copied along with the data.
Taking this feedback into consideration, we decided this needed to change. We wanted to make things simple, so that’s what we did. In the new WebEOC, you no longer archive incidents. Instead, you simply make them inactive.
How do you do that, you ask? You simply uncheck the check box on the edit incidents window. This removes the incident from the incident drop down for users but still allows administrators to run reports.
If there is a need to make the incident active again, you simply check the box and users can then log in to the incident. The assigned groups are remembered so there is no longer a need to remove them or add them back.
After upgrading, we highly recommend administrators take advantage of this new feature to reduce the number of incidents users need to pick from during an exercise or real event. Rest assured that, if you have archived incidents, they will be brought forward into your new WebEOC.
As always, please feel free to reach out to our WebEOC Product Support Team at (877) 771-0911.